Today at work I decided to surprise everyone with a mini New Year’s Eve-Afternoon party. Who really wants to be working on New Year’s Eve? Not I. So, I made some snacks. I didn’t want it to cost a fortune so I went hunting for cheap appetizers. Here’s what we ended up with.
- Pigs in a Blanket-Easy yet tasty and most people like them. Plus it is something hot that was easy to roll up last night and bake in the toaster oven at work today.
- Fruit and Cheese Skewers-This is so basic but I wouldn’t have thought of it. I googled “cheap appetizers” and found this one. Just take a toothpick and skewer a cheese cube and a grape. That’s all! It looks cute and is very tasty.
- Jalapeno Popper Dip-This was another one that looked easy, I had most of the ingredients, and you can heat it up in the microwave, making it easy for work! I do think it would be better baked, but the microwave is a good alternative for when there isn’t an oven available. It is basically cream cheese, mayo, green chiles and jalapenos mixed together with parmesan cheese on top. I think I’d add more jalapenos next time, but when you’re making it for a group, it is better to go light on the heat.
- Turkey Roll-Ups-These were easy and cheap and I made them up last night. Spread some of the tasty cream cheese and herb dip on a tortilla, toss a slice of turkey on there and roll it up. I added some green onion to the cream cheese mixture and omitted the chopped onion and shredded lettuce. I cut each wrap up into little slices and stuck a toothpick through them for bite size treats.
- Mr. Amy’s Cucumber Dip-I have started buying a bunch of dip mixes from Amy’s Confection Company to have on hand when I need to take something somewhere but don’t have time or ingredients to whip something up. They are all so tasty. Mr. and Mrs. Amy are one talented couple when it comes to the kitchen! All I had to do was mix in sour cream and mayo and voila!
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars-These are always a huge hit. I think it’s funny because people always beg for the recipe… and it’s on the back of the bag of Toll House Chocolate Chips! Am I the only one who’s ever looked back there? You just make the chocolate chip cookie dough and spread it in a 9×13 and bake for about 20 min or so. They are super tasty – even better than the plain ol’ cookies!
So, that was our afternoon snack. It was fun and made being at work not quite so sad on a holiday! I hope everyone has a happy, fun and safe New Year’s! Yay for ’09!